Saturday, November 22, 2014

Yucky Mirrors

This morning as I was picking up the bathroom I happened to notice the current “yucky” state of my bathroom mirror. There were handprints from children and smears of toothpaste scattered all over the mirror. As I looked in the mirror I discovered how hard it was to actually see myself. I started to think of how I could use this as a lesson to teach my children. I called them in to show them the yucky state of the mirror and asked “Is it kind of hard to see yourself in this mirror when it’s all dirty like that?” They all agreed that it was. I told them to come back in a few minutes. I cleaned the mirror until it was sparkling and there was a perfect reflection of myself in it. I called the children back and first pointed out how well I could see all of their beautiful faces. I proceeded to tell them this….Sometimes in life we get like this mirror.  On the outside we still look clean but inside we feel dirty from mistakes we have made. As we look within ourselves we cant see past the dirty. All we see is the dirty and so we believe that, that is all we are. We carry that burden with us and forget how beautiful we really are underneath all of they yuck. But when we turn to our God and our Savior we can be wiped clean and then we can see ourselves for who we truly are. (I then went on to explain that, that is how baptism works) Thank goodness for a dirty mirror!

No comments:

Post a Comment