Monday, February 9, 2015

There is humor and humility in imperfection

What does it mean to be perfect? Does it mean that we are never afraid? It seems only natural, only human to be afraid but fear cannot exist where faith is. So being afraid would mean that we lack perfect faith. Does it mean that we never feel sadness or sorrow, because then our joy would not be full. Does feeling sadness or sorrow mean that we are not being grateful? I have a hard time understanding perfection. Sometimes I try to think of what would create a perfect world then I think of the type of people we would need to create this perfect world. At times perfection seems a little boring. Don't we after all love many of our family members FOR their quirks and their imperfections?

For example, I have a friend who lacks tact and I find some of her bold conversations quite humorous, a brother who always jokes even when sometimes he shouldn't but there are certain things I tell him or certain ways I tell him things just to hear his remark or reaction, I have a father who gets angry when his children are mistreated and therefore he understands my frustrations when I feel my children are mistreated and so I share those moments with him.  I have a sister who is very dedicated to whatever she chooses and loves to plan ahead and expects things to go perfectly (or at least hopes) and so she understands when I get frustrated when things don't work out the way I want and when all of my dedication and hard work didn't pay off like I had hoped. I have another sister who often sees things as black and white and has many a time been upset when the world didn't fall into that category but because of that I know where I stand with her and more importantly I know where she stands and I respect her for that grounding.  I have a mother who is not easily offended and so she may not always be careful with her choice of words and sometimes offends others but it is her who teaches me  to give others the benefit of the doubt. Nothing is personal to her, she understands that people have their reasons and they very likely have nothing to do with her. I have a brother who often fails to plan and you can usually depend on being late but it is his spontaniety and his relaxed attitude that will allow him to totally be in the present with you when you are talking to him. Sometimes my husband rattles on and forgets to let people have a turn to talk but it can be so nice when I am feeling antisocial or less talkative and we have company over or we are at a social gathering. Even after 8 years of marriage he can still find a story from his childhood that he hasn't told me yet. He can make everything a story. Whereas in my mind the event would have been either unimportant or over in one sentence.  Sometimes I can be controlling, possessive or angry over my loved ones but it also means that I am protective, thougtful and that I care. 

When I look at the peopel I love I don't know if I have learned more from their strengths or their imperfections, but I do know that I learn from BOTH. So while I am busy messing up every day of the week and likely every day of the rest of my life just remember I am here to show you a different way and the benefits or consequences of that way. So if all you can do is be grateful that I am here to show you the way NOT to do it then be grateful for that. Everyone in our life crosses our path for a reason and if the only reason is to learn what you do not like or how a certain style doesnt work for you then that is okay. You are not meant to be deeply attached to every person in your life. Nor are you meant to adopt every one of their styles or habits but some people are here to show us the way. Some people reflect back to us our imperfections and instead of resenting them for that thank them and learn to improve. Your parents, siblings, spouse and children will most definitely uproot your most needed areas of improvement. What a wondeful gift, cherish it and be grateful that they are not perfect and forgive yourself for not being perfect. We have time to master perfection. Until then lets enjoy the humor and humility imperfection brings.

1 comment:

  1. Just what I needed to hear today, Megan. Learning to love, accept and therefore offer our whole self to the world is the only way we can be truly authentic. Thank you for your insights.

    ReplyDelete