Monday, July 6, 2015

It isn't about reading

The other morning I woke up determined to actually do some school! I decided we were going to read first since it's such a crucial part of my children's education right now. I presented the idea in the most cheerful voice I could muster yet still my children just groaned! I had the urge to put on my "boss hat" and just make them read with me but I felt impressed to do something entirely different. The thought came to my mind "Teach them a lesson from the 'Before they turn 12' book."

It's a book I bought at Seagull book that goes over the principles taught in "For the Strength of the Youth" manual. This thought seemed like a distraction from my current goal and so I fought the idea but it came yet again. So I decided to at least open the book and see what pops out. I opened the book to the table of contents and the heading "Education" stuck out. I knew right then that sometimes it isn't about reading at all. I recognized that my children needed a testimony of the importance of education.

I took the time to study the lesson and we had a great discussion on why it's important to be educated. We talked about whether or not Heavenly Father wants us to be educated and how being educated could help us in our lives. That in order to know our talents and skills we need to be exposed to different things to first find our interests. That the Lord instilled in us certain talents and certain desires to fulfill our earthly mission and that by reading and studying we could unlock those things. We talked about how it's hard to learn new things if you cannot read. What is most important is that when I thought I was skirting the issue I was really addressing it to it's core. I am thankful to a Heavenly Father who guides me daily and moment by moment in how to raise His children. I am a much better mom thanks to Him.

So when your child isn't reading...ask the Lord, He will tell you what to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment